Saturday, October 17, 2015

Video games are turning out broken or unfinished while slowly becoming an expensive luxury


I have been playing video games ever since I have been able to hold a controller and with time video games have indeed evolved: we have passed from playing simple games of pong to high definition graphics so good they can match does special effects seen in movies... but with the advancement of technology we are introduced to new problems we never thought we'd eventually see.

Games in the 90's and early 2000's were released relatively complete, this is me speaking from my memory, back then the games we got were what we get witch is why there always seem to be more care to release a more complete product with has little glitches and problems has possible, if a developer made a mistake recovering from it was a difficult ordeal: they had to re-release these games in new disk/cartridge formats to fix does issues.

For example: When Ocarina of Time was lunched, the original Fire Temple music had a chant that reassemble islamic chants and got some backlash for it so nintendo's next cartridges of the game had a new music for the temple... now days thanks to the improvements of technology and advancement of the internet developers can now fix games with online patches, making this issues disappear quickly and comfortably, on paper this practice sounds perfect... but the industry has unfortunately adapted a new format that hurts the consumer.

Games now days tend to lunch broken, unfinished, bugged out or flat out unplayable and this is something that despite a vocal majority stating it out, developers and publishers seem completely uninterested in fixing the practice... when players buy a game at full price they expect something functional, they are paying far more than they would for a movie or a comic... in fact some player may have bought some special edition or something.

The way games are being sold to players is also insulting:


How is this possible? Selling to the consumer who purchase a game at full price having their product sold by bits and chunks, is indeed a terrible and awful practice that hurts the pockets of the consumer making buying a game a full luxury... an overall game with all content can cost you around hundreds since some of these developers don't even let you get some kind of season pass but making you buy each pice of content separately. Downloadable content and expansion packs felt like a great way to extend the life span of a video game but now developers have the need to instead separate game part from the product and sell it to us separately.

The biggest newest trend is the practice of micro transactions in games that you have already bought, why? how is this possible? why apply this kind of practice of video games that players have already bought for full price?

Before I go forward I want to let you know I am well aware of how expensive and hard it is to develop video games now days: Modeling, texturing, rigging, animating, programing, designing levels, writing the story, recording voice acting, etc... It's hard work and one that I commend all of the men and women who dedicate their profession in this. Has consumers however, this practice is something that should be unacceptable by anybody since is a way to demand more out of you... before we know it we have expended up to hundreds into a single video game when you are buying other games at full price and apply the same practice.

Speaking for myself, I am not rich... my line of work is that without a regular salary and I struggle to get enough money to get by, I have to save up to get what i want (sometimes for months), so when I have to see game developers asking more money out of me after I purchased their game is insulting to my intelligence and my wallet; no amount of singing the same "it's completely optional and you don't have to use it" damage control by the developers is going to make me feel any better because this is just ridiculous on every level.

The point is: If has a developer you have to milk your consumers out just to get by then something is very very VERY wrong with the industry... because if developers and publishers now have to ask us for extra money after purchasing their game it feels like (forgive me for the flowing) I am getting punched in the dick.


Video games are becoming a luxury because only does who have enough time and money on their hands can now get the maximum out of a game... something I and does like me cannot afford. Perhaps one day I will have to quit gaming overall if this kind of practice continues... with Fallout 4 being the last video game I will have bought and I will be sad to know that one of my favorite hobbies has become an unaffordable luxury.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I wanted to make a review of the web series RWBY but since volume 3 is coming out October 24th is going to be put on hold, if you are interested in checking it out you can now catch up to the show on Rooster Teeth's YouTube Channel

More content and Updates coming to this site soon!

Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment