Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Fallout 4 - First Impressions



It´s been great so far.

Playing on the PS4 it´s been a great experience being one of the few games I have been more than happy to spent more than 100 euros on (yes I got the Pip-Boy Edition) and at the time of this post I have been having a blast since yesterday.

I did stated on a previous post that Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games of all time and while it might be too soon to say I love Fallout 4 more than 3, It comes very close to being my favorite game ever... but I am aware I am talking from a single day of gameplay so I am not going to set anything in stone at this point, besides stating what I am saying now has fact would be the equivalent of saying I love New Vegas more than 3 because of the little improvements.

Fallout 4 not only feels like an RPG but it also plays like an FPS right down to melee close range attacks, the combat in the game feels great but I would´t say is better than in other games where shooting is the sole focus but I would be laying if I say that what Bethesda has done with gameplay is nothing short of amazing, it´s exactly what I (and I am sure many other fans) wanted from a rightful sequel to the legendary Fallout 3.

For the sake of spoilers I won't dwell on the story, but for this post just know that it really feels like bethesda has really given a special care to the story line this time around; while Fallout 3 does have a strong motivator to head into the wasteland it lacked the writing and dialog to make it organic and even though it still a memorable story the fact that rather it reaches it´s audience might be a matter of hit or miss depending on the player. Fallout 4 on the other hand doesn't spend all it´s time on a single setting abusing of cinematic timing but rather spending has much time has it must to deliver on the impact, of course I haven´t finished the story at this point but it does just enough at the beginning to make you care for what you are fighting for in the wastes (I can´t say much for the secondary quests at this point until I experience a few more).

The voice acting so far has been very serviceable, the delivery from the protagonist makes me see not a vessel the character I am playing has, Courtney Taylor is nothing short of a great actress, she has proven her worth in Mass Effect, Knights of the Old Republic and Dragon Age Origins... she delivers a convincing performance making me look at the character we create not has a vessel for the player but has a character of her own, witch is both a good and a bad thing since it´s easy to notice the voice coming out of the character´s mouth being nothing what the player expected witch is a dangerous line to walk and can conflict with the player´s idea to interpret a character, this isn´t a problem for me particularly but because of my nature in roll playing games of not playing has a character that I "embody" I play has the character I see I want to be the protagonist, granted it could have also gone south for me since I was more in favor of a silent protagonist but this game works just fine with a voices player character...

It´s still too soon to pass a final verdict on the game since I doubt I´ll be done with it until weeks later... so far know that it´s been great and something tells me is going to keep up like that for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment