Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Casper: A Spirited Beginning Movie Review + Update


For some reason I can´t be able to explain I have been having this movie on the back of my brain for a while now... and I might be exaggerating with this statement but this is one of the very first movies I ever watched in my whole life; I owned the VHS tape and I used to watch this a lot back when I was like 7... but why?

What was it about this movie that had me watching it so much? why did I liked it? why is the intro theme always playing in my mind? I decided to watch it again to figure out why my brain can´t delete  it or block it once and for all...

This story is a prequel to the events of the original 1995 Casper movie, it was direct to video back in 1997 and produced by Saban Entertainment (The producers of The Power Rangers). Although it´s considered a prequel, I don´t really feel like I am learning how Casper came to be or something about him I didn´t knew... hell it dosen´t even connect in anyway with the movie that is supposed to happen latter in the original. Casper has just died, he is about to go to a ghost school along side the ghost of other people who have died, but they all seem to be unaware they have passed away... because of a stupid reason he get´s kicked out of the train and ends up in this town and I figure out how it was all a convenient plot device by connecting it´s dots to get Casper into a happy little town and creeps everybody out unintentionally and becomes friends with this kid named Chris, and the whole "adventure" is about Casper trying to learn how to be a ghost.

On a fundamental level, the movie is functional, I can´t say I was ever bored about the way the sequence of events played out, the characters are 90´s stereotypes but the relationship between the father and the son is actually quite neat and really want to the see them work their differences out, the rest of the cast is ok, I mean some of them can be a little annoying (the bullies) but they felt harmless to the story... except for that part where they locked Chris up inside a mansion that is about to explode! Does this bullies were trying to graduate from bullying to killers or what?!

Regardless, after watching this movie again I have come to the conclusion that the reason why little me liked this movie is very simple actually... I was young and dumb. Regardless of the negatives, I think the movie is for the most part a fun time, although I doubt I would watch it again.

Casper: A Spirited Beginning feels like a movie that was made because of the success of the original movie without a doubt; but something tells me that the people behind it probably didn´t had evil intentions... like they made this movie has good has it could possibly be on it´s own; true or not it is a fun little movie and I see no harm in young watchers seeing it (well except maybe the murderer attempt by the bullies).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"OH FLYNN WHERE ARE YOU???? WHERE IS YOUR SO CALLED PROJECT HUH????!!!!!!
YOU TALK ABOUT IT BUT YOU NEVER SHOW ANYTHING EVER"

ejem...



Everything is still in rough... but I work every day and still am a one men crew... just in case there are any doubts

No comments:

Post a Comment