Saturday, July 26, 2014

Usagi Drop Anime Review


It´s been a while since I saw an anime this touching and heart warming...

Daikichi is a man is his 30´s makes a life defining decision when he finds out that his deceased grandfather had a daughter; when no one in his family decides not to take the child in and take care of her he takes the initiative to look after Rin and raise her by himself; the rest of the anime is about the two trying to figure out how to balance their new lives. The strength in this story is definitely Daikichi and Rin´s relation; I no nothing about raising a child and that is why I find myself sympathizing with Daikichi has he tries to balance out his work and using his free time to figure out how to take care of the child he took in; Rin of course is a lovable child, she is supportive, happy and just a kind little girl, I can´t think of anybody who would hate her, she is just one of the best kids I´ve seen not only in anime but is story media in general.

Rin is of course the emotional center of the story and seeing her and Daikichi working out their relationship and trying to figure out what to do is one of the most heart warming moments in the whole series, and is very rewarding to see them work it out. One downside I see in this anime is maybe the some of the side characters, I don´t hate them; I just feel like maybe we should´t see much of them or they intrude too much in the story where they are not called, for example: there is one kid who is friends with Rin, he is a bit of a trouble maker in contrast to her, I am cool with him, in fact i think is kinda cute... the problem is that he always seems to find a way into the story with no reason other than just maybe interrupting a moment where Daikichi and Rin are either working something out or having a time to see their relationship. Why not just have him show up in a different situation? Why is he so frequently showing up? What is he adding to the scene? I don´t know... to me it sticks out like a sour thumb...

The art direction is also great, with a water color painting style that gives the anime a different feel than other anime series and movies out there has well has the contrast made on the characters to not make it stick out from the background colors, it´s an interesting perspective I would like to see more in anime.



Although it has very minor problems I have little to complain about really, maybe I was being nitpicking when I pointed them out, but that´s how I really felt when watching it; I really liked this anime and I recommend it to anybody who is looking for something warm for the heart and soul... it´s a very adorable anime I may revisit in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment