Sunday, May 3, 2015

Dr. Strangelove Movie Review


Released on January 29th 1964, Dr. Strangelove is a black comedy film by the famous Stanley Kubrick... even though it's portrayed has one of the best comedies of it's kind, I kinda don't find it all that funny; although I do indeed consider it a very entertaining movie to watch nevertheless.

The story is basically a satire of the cold war; a US air force general orders a massive nuclear strike against the soviet union, with the order being basically completely out of control from high politicians (like the president of the US) because of the "Plan R", thus laying to his men and using it has a ploy to attack the Russians to prevent them from "polluting the American's precious bodily fluids". Is all a race against time to prevent a nuclear apocalypse.

Now the first thing I love is the setting, the cold war at it's hype where the fears of the world at the time were coming together and the portrayal of all the characters are great to give an excellent mood to the time period... it works has a cautionary tail of humanity's self destructive tendencies and psychotic nature in times of fear and uncertainty. (It all kinda reminds me of the Fallout franchise)

However, the films humor just sometimes didn't get to me... there were times where I indeed found jokes and scenes funny, but most of the time I was just paying attention to the plot and wondering "omg how are they gonna get out of this one". The characters are pretty interesting too and the ending was actually funny for the last 10 minutes, with great directions (I mean c'mon this is Kubrick we are talking about...) and acting.

Dr. Strangelove may not be the funniest comedy of all time, but it is indeed a great satire of a very real danger... thankfully one that didn't happen and a good political satire that I may revisit in the future!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well this is going to be my last post before I go away... (if you read my anime cliche post you know why)

I want to do more movie and game reviews before I post updates on the comic... I know some of you have been wanting to know more about that and if it was me I would want that too, but there is just so much to do and doing it alone is resulting in being a bigger challenge than I anticipated; all while also learning my ropes around photoshop.

I finally got around owning Bloodborne... I must be like 50hrs in and so far it's been a great time; I want to get around to review it has well has MKX... but that will be later.

Thank you for tuning in!

No comments:

Post a Comment