Friday, May 29, 2015

Mad Max: Fury Road and Babadook Movie Reviews


Mad Max is a long existing franchise that I watched when my dad and uncle talked about while we where in a video store where we saw the DVD collection of the original 3 movies with Mel Gibson... quick thoughts? Mad Max 2 is the superior film while the other two are alright for what they are and I do respect them.

Now on to Fury Road, I'd say this is a very good and fun movie to watch... and that is really the just of it has I can't really add much to the rest. Has it comes is what I expected it to be by meeting my expectations with a simple plot and plenty of action scenes I couldn't have asked for more; so more than a review of Fury Road consider this my honest thoughts.

The story fallows series main character Max, a tormented soul in a post apocalyptic world after a collapse of oil and water... Max has his own story that is vaguely reveled through the story but at a very loose way that it´s pretty much irrelevant for the over aching plot of the movie witch is definitely the best way to handle it; of course the first movie WAS about that, but new audiences don´t know that. The story is fun but that is not the reason why you will like this movie, is about the flashy action scenes and special effect usage with every moment being full of adrenaline. Is almost like filmmakers knew about this and decided to just give what they have to give with this franchise... after all Mad Max 2 is the one movie most people remember from the classic trilogy and that was a very fun movie.

Fury Road meet my expectations when I saw it in theaters being what it set out to do, being a fun pop-corn action movie to shut your mind off and to enjoy the ride!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Babadook is an independent Australian horror movie, I may not have shown it but I love horror film has they are one of my favorite genres of film out there, so when I had a chance to check it out it! I heard my many people online that this is one of the best horror films of the modern times so I check it out and... well... it´s pretty good indeed but it wasn't great.

Let me elaborate about what I mean: The story fallows a widowed mother and her son in their hard life styles... the kid is very problematic by getting into trouble in school and the likes, the mother had suffered the loose of her husband leaving her along with the child and having a job she clearly does not enjoy. Things take a turn for the worst when the two decide to read a children´s book title "Babadook" and from there a journey through a world of schizophrenia and fear begin.

To be perfectly clear, I think this setting is perfect for a great suspense film and in many areas the movie success... although it kinda misses in the horror department, why? well let´s start by stating a very clear aspect of horror films: fear is subjective, in other words, something that´s scary for someone may not be for another and that is very well the case for me here. The movies depiction of loneliness, ambiance and vulnerability is spot on and I love it for that, however I don´t remember ever really being terrified by what I watched nor uncomfortable... if anything I was marveled by the movies execution in every regard.

I love the journey that I took with the movie, that would be the key component here, more than fear I was actually interested in where it was all going and how it was going to end... is like experiencing the world of a schizophrenic person in movie form. I only wish that the last act was little more intense because (without spoiling much) at that point it became very light hearted.

Babadook is a very good movie and if I had to give it a score it would be an 8 out of 10, the journey alone one for me worth the price of admission, the story it self is something I had seen other times before but it still felt fresh here because of it´s execution... I loved Babadook for the experience, not because it was scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment