Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Thoughts on Silent Hills cancellation + Bloodborne Game Review


A while ago the internet was blown by the news that Hideo Kojima (the now legendary game creator responsible for the Metal Gear franchise) has been unofficially fired from Konami, with his studio Kojima Productions being left in the hands of the publisher... including the IP, the FOX engine, etc...

This news really depressed the MGS fan base the most, because Kojima is the men who basically kept the whole franchise surviving with great entry after great entry and knowing that phantom pain may the the series last hoorah... even with Konami saying the Metal Gear series will continue. To me the real boomer is the cancellation of "Silent Hills" (witch I still feel like it's a stupid title BTW), it's playable teaser showed so much promise and understanding of the main source material that it could have actually worked; and with the talents of Kojima, Del Toro and Reedus there was plenty of hope for rejuvenating the franchise once again into something that brings a large audience into the survival horror camp.


We know little details of what actually happened and honestly I don't care to know; it really is a boomer to see the work of an artist thrown away because of some board deception or dispute or whatever the hell the one thing that we all noticed with the demo was potential... could it have been a bad game? the answer is we'll never know. So what happens to Silent Hill now? Konami has said that "they are determined to make more Silent Hill games" well woohoo Konami... what'cha gonna do? give it to Vatra Games again so the same dudes who said "bleh... the cult is boring, who cares!" make the next game? Earth to Konami: Downpour wasn't THAT good... is not terrible but... you know what I'll drop it...


I really don't know what else to say... P.T. has proven that there is hope for the franchise; I love Silent Hill so of course I want to see a good new entry in the franchise because let's face it, the last good SH game we got was SH4... and that was the last official Team Silent contribution to the series before being disbanded by Konami...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Bloodborne was released for the PlayStation 4 on March 2015, it has received critical acclaim from many critics and players around the world... but what is the real secret of it's success? Is it just the name and legacy of From Software? Is it Miyasaki's capacity to create interesting worlds?

The story takes place in the goth-like city of Yharnam; where all of it's inhabitants have been infected by a decease that transforms them into monsters, your character must uncover the core of the issue and solve it in order to survive. The entirety of the game is centered on exploring and unveiling it's secrets yourself with little help... you are given your tools, little explanation and context to go along and you are immediately sent to venture into the dangers of Yharnam; the most engrossing aspect of Bloodborne is how it trust you has a player to know what to do and how to defend yourself. Little handholding.

In terms of difficulty, well... it's hard indeed, but I never found it unfair I am the kind of player that takes my time when in combat I like to study the opponent and figuring out the best way to counter attack... Bloodborne is all about knowing when is the best opportunity to strike and of course leveling up your character. I don't know about Dark Souls because I never played it, but I indeed died a lot and with each game over screen I figured I was having fun just trying to overcome the brick wall I encountered.

The art direction in this game is great too, it creates a great sense of loneliness and hopelessness that only a visionary with a clear idea of how his world looks can come up with; I have the feeling that Miyazaki is the kind of guy that has an specific vision of how his worlds look like. Bloodborne is a great game full of action and suspense, there is room for improvements (like maybe more weapon types) but that is really it, I have little to complaint about. It´s a game worth picking up if you want a good action adventure to sink your teeth into; but I warn you that it´s difficulty is not for the faint of heart.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok guys, update time... here ya go:


I would love to show more actual comic pages but has you may be able to tell I am still learning my ropes around photoshot CC 2014, I´ve been learning via tutorials online and they have been very helpful so far, some things are different in the way it´s all depicted in the window and well... let´s just say it´s taking me a little bit of time getting used to it. Drawing on a wacom has never really been my forte has I prefer the pencil and paper more to draw my characters.

While I keep working on this I wanna do another marathon and I have a few ideas, but if you have any suggestions I would be glad to hear it and to oblige if I can... some of you have already voiced me what you want me to talk about via PM but don't be shy to comment in the comment section.

Thank you and stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment