Sunday, August 10, 2014

Mass Effect 3 Game Review


What is perhaps one of the most influential and successful video game trilogy of all time; there is no doubt that the Mass Effect series is a big title, not only because of the dedicated fan base but because of the way it told it´s story with memorable characters, remarkable story line and deep gameplay.

The fan base is so passionate about this franchise that there was an explosion of hatred by them when the final moments of this game happen to be one of the worst video game endings of all time... but I will get into that later.

The story fallows the player has Commander Shepard, a man or woman who is set off to find and reunite every available help he/she can get to help earth in the innovation of the reapers... has a continuation of the previous two stories you meet up with the old companions and with some of the choices you have made in the past in the previous titles; some actions will have major repercussions in some moments in ME3.

The game itself plays much more fluidly than the previous two, many state that the gameplay in the previous game are much about RPG than straight combat; although that may be true I don´t believe so myself... in any aspects the games they made didm´t really had centered mechanic and in ME3 I believe the team got what they tried to achieve in the previous games has the combat is not only much more fluid and better animated but also more fair, even managing the squad in combat is not so hard.

Finally I will address the elephant in the room... the ending; yes it was disappointing, it was horrible and left a thousand loose ends that they pretty much demanded you to buy their DLC content... it certainly felt like a slap in the face. I remembered feeling cheated after I read the credits and saw the message where I was being told to buy DLC... I was not happy and like everybody else I was angry. After the extended cut, I felt much better and I calmed myself, yet there are people that can´t let go; from how I see it I think Bioware did far more than many triple A companies bother to do: They listen to the complains and did their best to fix it... I can´t think of any other game companies that do this. That kind of behavior is something that I fully respect.

Overall, Mass Effect 3 is a game that did much right but triped at the very end (and a very important part), if Bioware deserves or not the slack they are getting is something I will not try to answer... in all honesty, they got what they deserved and did their best to fix that mistake, that alone should say a lot about the company that Bioware is...

No comments:

Post a Comment