Sunday, September 7, 2014

Is Co-op multiplayer so bad?


The upcoming Bioware game "Dragon Age: Inquisition" has revealed that it will have cooperative multiplayer on top of the main campaign where you and 3 more players get to explore a level and fight enemies together; I have seen plenty of negativity towards this mode online... and I can see why some people are concerned but I still see plenty of good things here.

For starters; I will clarify that I am not much of a competitive player, I am usually not interested in games where multiplayer is about fighting other players that takes away from me and I have never said is bad, it really is not my cup of tea... however I have always enjoyed cooperating in games weather locally or online.

I see more people into the competitive aspects of a game than co-op aspects; the general public seem to find more interesting the places where you see competitive environments like FPS team deathmaches than co-op survival to overwhelming odds. I understand more people prefer competition and the fact that the majority tag the "multiplayer" has synonymous off "player vs player" when the word itself is self explanatory:

Multiplayer = Multiple players

Nowhere it´s stated that multiplayer must be competitive matter only... I know this does not apply to everyone, but with how manny people bring it up like that I just feel the need to say it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

When Bioware announced the multiplayer for Mass Effect 3 I didn't knew what to make of it... I knew what to expect but I could not imagine how it would play out and for the most part I was a bit iffy about it; but when I finally got the chance to play it I really liked it more than I thought I would. Unlike the usual "Hoard Mode" where is all about surviving by finding the best spot on the map but rather about finding the class you are comfortable with, level up your character correctly, exploit the weakness of your enemies and working together with other players.



Usually co-op modes in games generally feel to me sometimes more about being the last one standing than working together unless you are playing with other people you know and are willing to help; but with games like Mass Effect 3, Uncharted, Grand Theft Auto 5 that support this kind of multiplayer co-op approach I see that there is still room for there to be more like it.

The ultimate reason why I brought this up is because I see plenty of people who can´t seem to stand the fact that Bioware is reincorporating the multiplayer component that was in Mass Effect into Dragon Age takes away from the core experience (the single player and RPG elements), I can understand the worries people have when I hear this statement... but was the experience from any game "really" taken away by adding multiplayer? do we feel that a game like uncharted is taking away from the campaign because of it´s multiplayer? or the last of us? or any other great AAA title out there with multiplayer? (regardless of PvP or Co-op)


I see it has a way to add more value to the purchase value of their game, and instead of judging it has what we see we should judge it has what it will be, Bioware has said before that "we don´t need to worry about the multiplayer being tagged to the single player" and that it will be "a separated experience from the single player experience and RPG elements". I am has much in the dark from the game has the next person... and I consider myself more of a "single player" guy, but if I can play with other I enjoy more working together than killing each other.

Until the actual lunch of the game AND the multiplayer mode we will all just have to wait and see... but let´s try and keep an open mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment