Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 Movie Review


I often hear fans saying that part 1 is more of a "filler" for the grand finale... and although I do believe this is correct, I appreciate the slow phase and seeing the actual storytelling elements unfolding naturally much more than in "Half-blood Prince" without any dumb romance getting in the way.

Harry, Ron and Hermione are now on the run because of Voldemort's relentless hunt for Harry who is also hunting down Voldemort's horocroxes, the source of his invincibility... is all a race against time to find all the pieces and end the dark lord before it's too late.

I like this movie quite a bit, is much more quiet and slow than the other Potter films, but I mean that in a good way; while this is not exactly what I would expect of a Potter film, it's definitely what it needed if you ask me. A fresh setting, a particular trek, core characters doing what they have to do, the feeling of danger lurking around every corner... it's all making the movie different yet thrilling.

This is when JK Rowling herself stepped in has producer for both parts of "Deathly Hollows", maybe her intervention did help a lot the movie to feel more like the story Rowling pictured in her book; is a minor thing maybe considering that she wasn't directing the movie specifically, but a producer is a high position to be in during the making of a film... so she must have gotten her influence across in some way.

I won't argue with anyone who comes to me and says that this movie is slow, because it is, but I do insist that this is what we needed after the clumsiness of the last film, the story does indeed move forward, the characters are behaving in the way I expected; the danger is genuine and is just an overall solid movie... with a big open ending but well of course is gonna end with a cliff hanger right?

No comments:

Post a Comment